Parliament and Big Ben

Parliament and Big Ben
Viewed from The London Eye

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

White Cliffs of Dover


Johnny's experience in Dover.

My trip to Dover was on the first available weekend that we had on our program and I was really excited to be able to the coast line for the first time. I had heard of and seen some pictures of the white cliffs of Dover before but still didn’t really know what to expect. When I got off of the train and walked down to the coast to look up at the cliffs, I was at a loss of words; I was looking at a solid, perfectly white wall over three hundred feet high. Pictures can never show everything I was able to see and experience there. 



It has been by far the best and most scenic hiking experience of my life. We were able to walk right next to the cliff edge for about 5 miles along pristine coastline overlooking the clear water. On a clear day we heard that you are able to see France; unfortunately it was a bit foggy in the distance so the French were able to remain hidden from us. 

Initially we were not sure whether we were going to stay for one or two days. In the end we decided on staying two days and I am very glad we did because it was well worth the cost of a hostel room to get another day of those kinds of views. This hiking trip got me really excited for the big hiking trip that Thomas and I have planned for after our program ends. We are planning to go to Switzerland to hike in the Alps. I can only hope that our experience there is like my experience in Dover.


No comments:

Post a Comment