Parliament and Big Ben

Parliament and Big Ben
Viewed from The London Eye

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Thinking about Graduate School


Luke reports on what he took away from our second site visit.

Our site visit to Ramboll left me with some useful knowledge.  While I hadn’t considered grad school outside of the US, it was great to hear from someone who we could relate to as an undergraduate engineer from a state school in the US, who decided to challenge the “status quo” and choose an interesting career path in engineering. After this visit I understand more clearly the difference in processes to become a chartered engineer in the UK verses a Professional Engineer in the US.  I also enjoyed hearing the experience of two engineers that were still in their first year on the job.  

[I liked] hearing what type of projects these young engineers were involved in, along with their responsibilities for the jobs.  This information really hit home with me, because this type of work is exactly what I could be doing a year from now.  The attractive part of working for an engineering firm in London is diversity of work these firms are engaged in.  They have roots all over Europe and are right in the middle of bordering areas that have very different culture and interesting unique problems.  

Ramboll is a company that I could see myself working for in the future.  Ramboll had more of a laid back atmosphere and had the kind of diversity in work that is desired by someone who is interested in more of a multidisciplinary route in civil engineering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment