Parliament and Big Ben

Parliament and Big Ben
Viewed from The London Eye

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fridays at the Rolling Bridge

Thomas went looking for the rolling bridge on Friday.

In keeping with typical college student stereotypes I had a 15 pence bowl of noodle soup today. Studying abroad on a budget is a delicate balance because I want to have a true London experience and not have a large goose egg waiting for me when I get back to America. Even though I used all my birthday wishes hoping that the dollar would randomly grow in strength versus the pound, it did not. Cue 'London for free' Google searches. 

One of the many random things I found really engaged my engineers curiosity. It was a pedestrian bridge across a city channel. The structural components of the bridge were basic, but the idea and execution added character to the resurging Paddington Waterfront. 

In the water surrounding the bridge floated numerous quaint house barges with bikes strapped to the top and the occasional dog napping in a life ring. Six days of the week the bridge was quite normal, but every Friday it is shown to be a very unusual drawbridge. It rolls up. One end raises up, curls over, and matches to the other. 

The whole process reminds me much of a little pill bug rolling up in his protective shell. To be able to see and understand its engineering was actually my favorite part of seeking this bridge out. It uses hydraulic cylinders that extend and fold the railing into a star, raising the rest of the bridge.The bottom of the bridge encloses the center in a large octagon. 

I had a weird urge to hop inside and use it like a large human hamster wheel. I resisted and continued along the channel exploring Little Venice and taking in the sights of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment