Parliament and Big Ben

Parliament and Big Ben
Viewed from The London Eye

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Reflection on Westminster Abbey Evensong

Adam's reflection on Westminster Abbey Evensong


Prior to attending my study abroad trip I was informed that there was an optional trip to Westminster Abbey evensong. I was totally unaware of what that would entail but in my mind I had automatically told myself that I wasn’t going to go; for no good reason at all.

When our teacher gave a brief description about the event, saying it was a church service with singing involved. She then proceeded to ask who all wanted to go to the event, most of the class responded that they were going. I sort of felt left out so I decided that I would go tag along to see what this Westminster Abbey evensong was all about. I grew up in a Baptist like church, and I have been to several catholic services.

When I first walked in I was amazed at how much gold the church included. The height of the cathedral was also amazing because it must have taken some of the top construction equipment of its time, when it was built in the 10th century. As far as the service goes I was unaware that the choir that was singing was going to an all male choir, and that they would be so amazing. I am not one that is into choir and hymnal songs but after this service I found myself thinking I would really like to go back.

I was amazed at how just trying something out could change your point of view so quickly. I have chosen to let that be the theme of this trip from now on. Giving something a shot even if you don’t think you will like it. I have to embrace the culture here, that’s what this entire experience is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment