Parliament and Big Ben

Parliament and Big Ben
Viewed from The London Eye

Sunday, July 5, 2015

V&A Glass Exhibit

After spending the entire morning in Harrods, my roommate and I decided to stop by the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A Museum). Admittedly in the beginning, I had no idea what the museum’s focus was, but it soon became apparent as we walked through halls that took us back in time. My visit on July 5, 2015 to the V&A Museum was a memorable experience, the glass and architecture exhibit being my favorite areas. I never knew of glass making’s rich history prior to my visit and was informed more about the design aspects of architecture through the architecture exhibit. Exploration of artifacts from the UK and various parts of the world opened my eyes to how design and art has changed over time, giving me perspective on how modern marvels are made.
The glass exhibit on Level 4 in Room 131 educated me about glass-making and techniques used for several types of glass from the past to current day for European and Islamic cultures. The most pivotal piece in the room was a glimmering glass staircase that reflected sunlight in just the right angle, encasing the staircase in a beautiful green glow. A recurring method of presenting information in the V&A was via short stories from people who lived during the era a particular artifact was created. It was a personal touch that I appreciated because it made me see connections between multiple cultures, making it easy to appreciate how much of an impact the artifact made in a person’s life.
The architecture gallery was especially interesting since it presented an overview of architecture to a novice such as myself. It focuses on architecture within the UK but still highlights specific international buildings that brings understanding to a concept they emphasized. There were five primary themes: Structure, Buildings in Context, Function of Buildings, Art of Architecture, and Architects. Shown in the below picture on the upper left corner was the most fascinating piece I found, a model of Great Britain’s first purpose-built middle school. The school itself had four separate teaching areas shown in the model, but we are not shared areas such as the cafeteria or library. Overall, I enjoyed looking at the patterns and layers of design principles apparent in the creation of several architectural wonders in the UK.
London’s museums are a wonderful learning opportunity that came at no monetary cost. We were able to wander through the V&A in 2-1/2 hours, gaining insight of the differing considerations of types of cultures in our world. I would suggest a visit to the V&A Museum, where even the most history or art averse people will still find exciting.
Figure 1: This is a small montage of pictures that shows the middle school model in the upper left corner, the glass exhibit in the lower left corner, and a snap of my roommate and I in front of an arch in the museum. ~Anjali

No comments:

Post a Comment