Parliament and Big Ben

Parliament and Big Ben
Viewed from The London Eye

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Bath

The Day Tour of Bath through AIFS was probably my favourite excursion that I have done thus far. It was relatively inexpensive for what we were able to do in four hours we were there. Mesmerizing architecture, stunning Roman artefacts, and beautiful scenery surrounded us through every street and neighbourhood. First we went through a self guided tour of the Roman Baths. The baths themselves were beautiful and it was amazing to hear the origins behind their construction and social uses. Drinking the water was also an interesting experience, its strong metal taste reminded me of when you bite your tongue and taste blood (from its iron content). The artefacts in the museum I found most surprising were thin sheets of metal where Romans wrote who they wanted cursed, and for what, and threw them in the baths. It was fun to learn so much so quickly about the religious, engineering, and political aspects of culture that made Bath what it is today. I was also very happy that in the gift shop I was able to buy a sculpted replica of the Gorgon that was made from the dust of the original Bath temple. The rest of the day was free time, and spent wandering through various neighbourhoods and eating lunch at a local cafe.
I would highly recommend visiting Bath for anyone in the area, there is so much offered for people interested in anything from night life to political history. My day trip made me want to research more on Roman history, specifically on methods and accomplishments of its engineers. My Italian heritage also seems to tie in to this interest, and I am excited to learn more when I travel to Rome after our Study Abroad program. This excursion gave me a whole new appreciation for engineers throughout history, as well as the diverse origins of the UK as a whole. For anyone wondering, here was a loose expense summary of my day:
£20 Tour Fee (subsidized through AIFS)
£10 Lunch
£12 Gift Shop Purchase
£2 Local Ice Cream
~Kali

No comments:

Post a Comment