Parliament and Big Ben

Parliament and Big Ben
Viewed from The London Eye

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Louvre

The day after I went to the Eiffel tower I went to visit the Louvre by myself. Now, if there is one thing that everyone should know before going (and that I wish I had known) is that this place is huge. I was there for nearly three hours and didn't even get close to seeing half. I went in there with expectations to see most of it but disappointed myself at how i was unable to do that. It also took forever to get in because of the line, even though I got there an hour before it opened.


I know most people talk up La Joconde (Mona Lisa) like it is a huge and crazy painting but it really surprised me. It was tiny compared to what I expected and there was still a massive crowd around it. Also I didn't know that the real name of the painting wasn't the Mona Lisa. I went straight to see it and after that wandered around from room to room trying to find the coolest things I could. One of my favorites was the Winged Victory of Samothrace statue which is one of the first things that a person might see when going into the museum. It was one of the only statues that I have ever really been amazed by and it was nearly 2000 years old. I also got to see the Code of Hammurabi which I had never heard of until I saw it. The COH was almost 4000 years old (if I remember right) and was one of the oldest writings that we can decipher. I thought that that was so cool when I could just wander around and find something as amazing as that without any prior knowledge.


Overall though,I think that my favorite part about the Louvre was the ceilings in the building. It used to be a medical castle, and was the home to French royalty, and is now a museum so the parts of the building differ. However, the ceilings were always very beautiful and people rarely looked up in each room to see. Nearly everywhere you went, there were extremely intricate and wild murals painted on the ceilings. I think that it is impossible to appreciate all of the art in that building because it is nearly impossible to see it all. However the things that I have mentioned are definitely worth seeing and I think that someday I would like to go back so that I could appreciate them a little more. -Ben


No comments:

Post a Comment