Parliament and Big Ben

Parliament and Big Ben
Viewed from The London Eye

Friday, July 3, 2015

Camden Market

While researching all of the London markets, the Camden Market caught my eye because of its emphasis on arts and crafts and handmade goods.  On Friday, July 3rd, I went to explore all that the market had to offer. 
Upon arriving at the Camden Town tube station, I immediately noticed how different it was from the Kensington area I am used to.  The walk to the market from the tube was filled with edgy shops, several tattoo and piercing studios, and a few very interesting street performers.  Of the performers, my favorite was a group of tweens, all with brightly colored Mohawks holding a sign saying, “Picture with punks, £2”.  Sadly, I opted out of the opportunity. 
After an exciting walk, I arrived at the market to find a two-story building filled with more vendors than I could count.  The vendors were arranged to create alleys that I walked up and down for nearly two hours.  The market had everything from hand carved stone necklaces, to clocks made from old records.  I stopped at most every table to gaze at the crafts and (of course) make conversation with the vendors. 
I spoke with two vendors that particularly intrigued me.  The first was a man who was selling jewelry made out of polymer clay.  He and his wife created each piece and he was able to explain how they did it.  I was particularly amazed by the jewelry because I used to play with polymer clay as a child, so I could fully recognize their talent.  I purchased an adorable bracelet with orange flowers on it for £11.  The other vendor shared a similar story in that the man’s wife made all of the jewelry he was selling at the market.  Her jewelry was unlike anything I had ever seen before.  I am not exactly sure how she made it, but it looked as if she crocheted very thin yarn to create flowers.  I was so interested in her work because of my interest in textiles.  I loved seeing ordinary supplies, like yarn, being used in a more innovative way.
The Camden Market was such a fun experience for me because I got to see how textiles are used in London.  In addition to a new bracelet, I was introduced to a new way of turning simple yarn into unbelievable jewelry.  The market will inspire me to think outside of the box when working with textiles in the upcoming semester.  I will definitely be visiting the market again before my time in London is over. ~Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment