Parliament and Big Ben

Parliament and Big Ben
Viewed from The London Eye

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tate Britain

Sunni's impressions of Tate Britain

I was able to go and visit the Tate Britain museum. This museum is the oldest of the Tate network of art museums and is located on the Thames River. It is full of artwork ranging for classical pieces to modern works. It houses the permanent British collection, which included pieces from John Constable and J. M. W. Turner. This important works were amazing to see in person, as I had only ever seen them in books or online. 

The museum itself was huge and the layout a bit confusing. I found myself wondering around the rooms like I was in a maze – not following a pattern at all. I eventually came across the modern pieces which were organized by decade (from the 1930s to the 1990s). It was really interesting to see how art has evolved since WWII, and what changes had taken place in each decade. I thought that the museum did a good job of organizing the artwork this way. I actually wandered up upon a video screen with headphones. It was a narration of the most important pieces in each decade room. Since I am not familiar with many artists or art pieces, I found this narration to be very informative and it helped me see the changes that had taken place in modern works of art. I had originally planned to go see the Tate Modern, but I enjoyed getting to see the modern exhibit at the Tate Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment